Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Overstated

I'm glad it's all done!  After doing all the seven OSCE stations yesterday, the last leg- the final four testing stations for the Animal Restraint and Clinical Examination was finally concluded this arvo.

Unlike yesterday, the nerves were more manageable this morning, maybe because I already knew what to expect for this overstated practical test.  I'd say that the preparation and anticipation were more difficult and exhausting than the actual OSCE itself; and to somebody who started to make that prac exam sound like it's a 'between life and death situation'- he/she succeeded.  It actually helped me and my classmates in the DVM-1 of the University of Adelaide to prepare for this test intensively.

Somehow, that OSCE was tough, because what was being tested was probably about 10% or even less of the learning materials, and the marking was not numerical- it's either 'passed' or 'failed', no grey areas!  Now, I have started to get worried of what I've written on the second paragraph of this post because the result of that exam isn't up yet, and I have to pass at least 7 out of 11 stations to secure a component of my final grade in Veterinary Professional Skills.

We had four OSCE stations this morning:
1.  Companion Animal (at the Uni  of Adelaide Companion Animal Health Centre-CAHC), for 5 minutes... Perform a musculoskeletal examination to a dog that's suspected of having a right forelimb lameness.  The exam question stated, "Because of time constraint, you are not expected to check the other limbs."

2.  Companion Animal, still at the CAHC; for 5 minutes... Without using an ECG, perform a comprehensive cardiorespiratory examination to a dog as a routine physical examination or as in a sick animal.  The exam instruction read: "You are asked to tell the examiner of what you are actually doing while performing your examination."

3. Companion Animal, for 5 minutes... Without using an otoscope and opthalmoscope, perform a comprehensive examination of a dog's head.  "You are asked to tell the examiner of what you are actually doing while performing your examination."

4.  Wildlife and Pocket Pets, for 5 minutes.  "Demonstrate the intramuscular medication and venipuncture sites in a bird, reptile and furred mammal; and perform a head and neck examination in a bird cadaver as if you're doing it on a live animal."

It's hard to tell until I get my marks for that exam.  All I can do for now is pray and stay healthy and optimistic while preparing for the upcoming theoretical exams- there's one on Friday (Veterinary Professional Skills and Legislation), another one on Monday (Fundamentals of Veterinary Practice-- Diagnostic Imaging, Anaesthesiology and Surgery) and the last but not the least- General and Veterinary Systems Pathology on Wednesday.

...which reminded me that I still need to buy my 2B pencils for these exams.



.

No comments: